Job Posting at Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago
Look for job #259060
Senior Large Bank Examiner - Information Technology & Operational Risk-259060
The Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago is one of 12 regional reserve banks in the United States, along with the Federal Reserve Board of Governors in Washington, D.C., which make up the nation's central bank. As part of its core mission, the Supervision & Regulation Department of the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago is responsible for supervising and regulating state-chartered banks that are members of the Federal Reserve System, bank holding companies, and financial holding companies.
The Large Bank Supervision job family provides supervisory oversight of financial institutions that are greater than $50 billion in assets or are categorized as Financial Market Utilities. Members of the Large Bank Supervision job family provide supervisory oversight through continuous monitoring and examination activity by engaging with institutions executives who have a deep knowledge of their functional or risk area. Members of the Large Bank Supervision job family generally work within a dedicated team, and focus on and have a deep knowledge of a certain risk or functional discipline.
One of our dedicated teams is seeking a Senior Large Bank Examiner (Senior Examiner) to review information technology (IT) and operational risks. The Senior Examiner is responsible for preparing, reviewing, monitoring, and conducting institution-focused information technology and operational risk supervisory activities. The Senior Examiner provides summary analyses regarding the firm’s current and emerging IT and operational risks, the potential impact on operations, and the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of data and systems. This is performed through meetings with institution management, including review of institution management reports, participating on and leading onsite visitations and targeted examinations. The Senior Examiner will be required to develop written products assessing the institution’s risk management framework for IT and operational risks.
The level of work is generally considered advanced and staff must be able to work under minimal supervision. This position has no direct reports.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
• Consults on and serves as a senior technical expert for a broad range of supervisory issues within the Department and District.
• Draws on experience to participate in ongoing supervision efforts such as horizontal coordinated reviews, target reviews and continuous monitoring of large or complex financial institutions.
• Uses advanced skills to assess the adequacy of risk management systems, policies and procedures, and compliance with laws and regulations.
• Identifies and assesses significant risks related to information technology and information security at financial institutions.
• Determines the adequacy of implemented information technology frameworks and evaluates IT data to arrive at sound supportable conclusions.
• Presents, prepares and reviews quality and timely summary documents, such as reports of examination and conclusion memoranda, continuous monitoring documentation, risk assessments, and other supervisory correspondence and documentation for complex/high risk institutions.
• Leverages expertise to develop supervisory strategies for complex/high-risk institutions.
• Develops examination/project plans, timelines and milestones for examinations of complex institutions.
• Creates and provides complex reports, documents, and other correspondence to internal and external stakeholders.
• Builds and maintains strategic work relationships and networks with both internal and external stakeholders, such as other Reserve Banks, the Board of Governors and other regulatory agencies.
• Serves as a mentor and/or coach; provides technical expertise and constructive feedback to all levels of staff.
• Perform additional duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in information technology, information security, or other related field or equivalent work experience preferred
• 5+ years of experience in risk management, audit or information security disciplines
• Federal Reserve System Examiner Commission is beneficial
• Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA) or Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) designation beneficial
• Demonstrated understanding of risk focused supervision and processes preferred
Knowledge & Skills
• Strong analytical, written and oral communication abilities
• Independent critical thinking and decision-making abilities
• Ability to provide guidance and constructive feedback to less experienced staff
• Strong teamwork skills and the ability to build and work collaboratively within and across work teams
• Ability to effectively lead a team without authority and to resolve moderately complex to complex issues
• Ability to manage time and projects effectively by adjusting quickly to new and different priorities
• Familiarity with common information security frameworks
• Travel required (approximately 25%)
• Applicants must be a U.S. Citizen or hold a green card with the intent to become a U.S. Citizen
• This position requires access to confidential supervisory information, which is limited to "Protected Individuals" as defined in the U.S. federal immigration law. Protected Individuals include, but are not limited to, U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, U.S. permanent residents who are not yet eligible to apply for naturalization and U.S. permanent residents who have applied for naturalization within six months of being eligible to do so.
• As a condition of employment, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago employees must comply with the Bank’s ethics rules which generally prohibit employees, their spouses/domestic partners, and minor children from owning securities, such as stock, of banks or savings associations or their affiliates, such as bank holding companies and savings and loan holding companies. If you or your spouse/domestic partner or minor child own such securities, and would not be willing or able to divest them if you accepted an offer of Bank employment, you should raise this issue with the recruiter for this posting, who can provide you contact information for our ethics official if necessary.