Ontario Internal Audit Division (OIAD), Office of the Comptroller General, Treasury Board Secretariat provides provides valuable and responsive assurance, advisory and investigative services that support the achievement of government priorities and ministry strategic objectives. OIAD employs and depends on an array of talent which includes financial, accounting, IT audit, assurance/advisory and investigative experts supported by professional designations and training.
About the Branch, The Education Audit Branch and Community Services Audit Branch within the Ontario Internal Audit Division provides objective assurance and consulting services to the Education and Community Services Sector Ministries. They assist the Ministries and their related agencies in accomplishing their business objectives by evaluating and making recommendations to improve governance, risk management, control, accountability and compliance processes and to improve the effectiveness, efficiency and economy of Ministry and agency operations. Internal audit services are provided under the direction of the Chief Internal Auditor.
Are you an experienced professional looking for an opportunity to demonstrate your exceptional analytical, communication, project management and team leadership skills within an internal audit role? Consider this rewarding opportunity with the Ontario Internal Audit Division, Treasury Board Secretariat, where you will provide expertise and advice in risk management, business processes, operational effectiveness and internal controls.
Why work for the Ontario Public Service?
The Ontario Public Service (OPS) is proud to have been named:
• Greater Toronto's Top Employers
• Canada's Best Diversity Employers
• Canada's Greenest Employers
• Canada's top Employers for Young People
The Ontario Public Service is also proud to offer:
• comprehensive group insurance plan covering basic life insurance, health, dental, vision care/hearing, and long term income protection
• defined benefit pension plan
• and flexible work arrangements
What can I expect to do in this role?
• conduct and/or lead a variety of complex projects in the areas of governance, compliance, financial management, special investigations, risk assessment and management
• evaluate client needs and identify consulting and required training to improve operations
• provide expertise, advice and consultation to clients on the use and evaluation of risk management and control strategies
• provide team leadership to staff and assist with technical training and coaching
• effectively manage relationships with clients and stakeholders
• prepare and/or review reports and other communications for senior management
This position will require travel. Also, please note that we have vacancies at two locations in Toronto, 777 Bay Street and 315 Front Street West.
How do I qualify?
Financial, Accounting and Audit Experience:
- You have advanced knowledge of current audit practices and methodologies
- You have experience in auditing, business risk management, internal controls and governance
- You have knowledge of current standards relating to internal controls over financial reporting and compliance objectives
- You have knowledge of financial and accounting principles (GAAP, PSAB), policies and processes to audit financial reporting and accountability frameworks/processes and ensure the accuracy and integrity of the client's financial information
Risk Assessment and Quality Assurance Experience:
- You have comprehensive theoretical and applied knowledge of risk management frameworks and principles, practices, standards and methodologies (e.g. COSO, COBIT, Sarbanes-Oxley, Enterprise Risk Management, Risk-Based Auditing, etc.)
- You are able to utilize appropriate risk assessment and management methodologies to monitor, evaluate, report risks to senior management and identify risks and adopt risk mitigation strategies
- You are able to perform design and implement risk assessment and quality assurance tools to meet the needs of government and external clients
Project Management Skills:
- You have demonstrated project management and team leadership skills for successful execution of audit engagements (e.g. leading, supervising and coordinating audit activities)
- You have experience in managing or conducting multiple complex audits
- You are able to adapt to changing priorities and circumstances, meet deadlines, and manage concurrent projects within budget
- You are able to coordinate/oversee the work of external consultants You can manage conflicting work demands and meet deadlines within short time frames
Analytical and Data Extraction Expertise:
- You have demonstrated analytical and problem solving skills to analyze processes and identify opportunities for improvement in a multi-dimensional environment
- You have the ability to research and analyze multiple sources of information for the purpose of providing possible options and alternatives (e.g. with regards to the audit program, related risks, etc.)
- You have experience in data extraction and analysis of information using spreadsheet and data extraction software (such as MS Excel, IDEA, etc.)
- You have demonstrated experience using audit software and Microsoft Office programs such as Outlook
Communication and Interpersonal Skills:
- You have demonstrated oral and written communication and presentation skills to ensure reports are clear and concise and effectively communicate important issues to clients
- You have demonstrated experience in preparing audit reports, recommendations, briefing materials, issues analysis and responses and other materials
- You have demonstrated experience to identify options and advise senior management on significant issues resulting from audit findings and risk assessments
- You have demonstrated experience interviewing stakeholders
- You have demonstrated interpersonal and negotiating skills to assist clients at senior management level to identify risks and influence corrective action
- You have demonstrated experience using word processing and presentation software (such as MS Word, PowerPoint, etc.) to help deliver these materials clearly and concisely to clients
Salary Range: $72,675 - $107,093 per year
- 2 Permanent, 315 Front St W, Toronto, Toronto Region
- 2 Permanent, 777 Bay St, Toronto, Toronto Region
- The information that you provide for the purpose of this competition and the results from this competition may be used to fill other positions. These positions may be of various tenures including short-term assignments. Your information and the results from this competition will be retained for the purpose of filling vacancies in accordance with the applicable collective agreement or policy provisions.
Please apply online, only, by Friday, August 21, 2020, by visiting www.ontario.ca/careers and entering Job ID 152168 in the Job ID search field. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.