Wawanesa Mutual Insurance is one of the largest property and casualty insurers in Canada with $3 billion in annual revenues and assets of more than $9 billion. Wawanesa Mutual, founded in 1896 with executive offices in Winnipeg, is the parent company of Wawanesa General, which offers property and casualty insurance in California and Oregon, and Wawanesa Life, which distributes life insurance products and services throughout Canada. With over 3,500 employees, Wawanesa proudly serves over two million policyholders through nine regional offices and 41 service offices in Canada and the United States. Wawanesa actively gives back to organizations that strengthen communities where it operates, donating well above internationally recognized benchmarks for excellence in corporate philanthropy.
We are currently looking for dedicated, driven, and enthusiastic individuals who thrive in an environment that welcomes change and are looking for an opportunity for diverse experience, advancement on a growing team.
Our Internal Audit Department is continuously working towards enhancing audit services in support of new strategic initiatives. These initiatives have led to rapid company growth and the creation of new roles within the Internal Audit Department at our Executive Office. We are seeking candidates that are interested in joining a team of motivated and skilled audit professionals. If you want to be challenged and offered opportunities to grow, consider this the next exciting and challenging step in your career.
Under general direction and supervision of the Manager, Systems Audits the Senior Systems Auditor is responsible for planning and conducting information technology and consulting audits of Executive Office functions and Regional operations, to assess the adequacy of internal controls, the overall effectiveness of operations and to ensure compliance with company policies and procedures.
Please note: Winnipeg is the preferred location, however we are open to considering candidates in Vancouver, Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon and Ottawa.
• Conducts complex and detailed audits of Executive Office functions.
• Assists with supervising the work of the Systems Auditor.
• Performs complex audit procedures, including identifying and defining issues, developing criteria, reviewing and analyzing evidence, and documenting processes and procedures.
• Conducts interviews, reviews documents, develops surveys/memos, and finalizes electronic work papers.
• Identifies and documents complex issues and develops recommendations using independent judgement.
• Communicates the results of audits using written reports and oral presentations to senior management.
• Develops and maintains positive working relationships with key internal clients and stakeholders.
• Assists with the annual risk assessment process and development of the annual IT audit plan.
• Assists with conducting special reviews of information technology areas on an ad-hoc basis.
• Pursues professional development opportunities and professional association memberships.
• Represents Internal Audit on project teams and at management meetings.
• Performs other duties as assigned by the Manager, Systems Audits.
• Minimum 5 years external or internal IT audit experience, or a combination thereof.
• Bachelor of Computer Science degree or other related post-secondary degree.
• Professional IT audit designation (CISA and/or CISSP), or commitment to obtaining same.
• Insurance related experience, or willingness to obtaining the CIP designation.
• Experience with performing IT General Control reviews at the application, database,
operating system and network infrastructure levels is essential.
• Knowledge of COBIT Framework and awareness of COSO Model is required.
• Ability to travel as required throughout the year to locations within Canada and the United States.
• Strong analytical/problem solving skills and attention to detail.
• Strong organizational and time management skills, including the ability to meet project deadlines.
• Strong negotiation skills, including the ability to present issues in a convincing manner.
• Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to prepare
clear and concise audit reports.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision, and as part of a team.
• Demonstrated ability to work with highly sensitive and confidential information.