The 2022 Emerging Trends Working Group will focus its efforts on media engagement and communications activities. This includes participating in both time-sensitive media opportunities and planned media outreach—including by providing written comments to media and engaging in phone interviews—to help position ISACA as a thought leader in the industry and to promote ISACA research, content and products. Other activities include writing articles for ISACA’s blog and third party media outlets, contributing to ISACA content pieces and social media posts, and providing insights into key trends relevant for ISACA content and media engagement.
Volunteers selected for this Emerging Trends Working Group will act as representatives of ISACA and our professional fields ONLY when working with the ISACA Global Communications Department. Any potential media opportunities must be vetted through the staff communications team prior to any volunteer being authorized to speak on behalf of ISACA.
The time commitment for this working group will be roughly 1-4 hours a month, depending on the media opportunities and ISACA announcements taking place at that time. While member schedules and time conflicts will be taken into account and respected, we ask that working group members be prepared to respond within 24 hours to ISACA communications about media opportunities (even if to indicate that another spokesperson will be needed), and if available, provide a media comment or commit to participate in an interview within 24-48 hours if needed, provided schedules allow.
The members of the Emerging Trends Working Group will leverage their expertise and insights by participating in media and communications opportunities, with the goal of being included in media coverage, writing articles and helping contribute to the development of ISACA content, all of which drives awareness of ISACA and elevates the organization—and the working group members— as industry thought leaders. This includes:
- Writing comments in response to current events that can be rapidly pitched to media, for the purpose of using these in timely articles.
- Speaking with journalists over phone interviews in response to queries, with the aim for their quotes and/or ISACA data and messaging to be used in published pieces.
- Writing bylined articles to be placed in third party media outlets.
- Writing ISACA Now blog posts.
- Contributing quotes and/or other expert insights for ISACA social media posts.
- Providing expert insights that will be used in the development of key messaging document, media pitches, and/or other ISACA content.
- Collaborating with other ISACA or industry experts on media opportunities as needed.
Not all volunteers will be contacted for every media inquiry; expertise and type of media outlet and query will be considered by ISACA staff when connecting with volunteers about opportunities.
- Has deep expertise in one or more of these areas: cybersecurity, emerging technologies, IT audit and assurance, governance, risk and compliance, privacy.
- Has experience in interacting with the media and/or willingness to receive media training.
- Is comfortable speaking in depth and writing about topics related to their area of expertise for external audiences.
- Is able, in most cases, to quickly participate in a media interview or provide a written comment in response to urgent media queries, sometimes within 24 hours (will take into consideration schedules and conflicts).
- Has the ability to engage in an average of 1-2 media opportunities per month.
- Is open to feedback from ISACA Communications team on submitted written comments, in the interest of effectively tailoring the response to the needs of the journalist and media outlet.
- Understands that in many media markets, journalists do not allow for the review of their articles by their sources in advance before publication.
- ISACA Membership preferred but not required
- English fluency required; fluency in other language(s) is beneficial.
- Geographic representation considered
- Up to 20 CPE credits (max. 20 annually) in the area of Working on ISACA Boards/Committees/Working Groups upon successful completion of the term.
- Potentially receive valuable public exposure from being quoted or featured in media coverage, depending on media inquiry and response needs.
- Help position ISACA as a global leader in our professional fields of interest.
All volunteers must have an ISACA Participation Agreement on file. To see if your agreement is active, visit your volunteer profile. Access all volunteer policies here.